A great consultant friend of mine recently described capital campaigns as “just one meeting after another.”
And while that makes light of all of the other things that go into a capital campaign, it’s a valid description! So you had better know how to organize and facilitate great meetings. I think it’s an essential campaign skill!
Are Your Capital Campaign Meetings Worthwhile?
Most fundraising professionals spend a great deal of time in meetings, but very few actually think about what it takes to make a meeting super productive.
And if you want your capital campaign to be successful, you’ll not only have to host and run meetings, but they’ll have to be effective and productive and even fun.
You don’t want your most important stake holders being bored to tears in a meeting. And for sure you don’t want to get them to a meeting and then not give them a chance to participate. If you do that, they won’t come back!
7 Steps Guaranteed to Make Your Meetings Successful
To kick-start your thinking about meetings, I’ve created a video. It’s about 10 minutes long, but it’s worth watching the whole thing. It will give you a great way to think about meetings and a nifty 7 step process guaranteed to make them effective.
Here’s a quick look at those 7 steps, but be sure to watch the video to really get a feel for how they work.
- Planning: Evaluate your meeting by considering it’s Purpose, the expected Outcomes, and the best Process for the meeting design.
- Hook: Start your meeting with a brief assignment that gets everyone’s voice in the room.
- Confirm: Confirm the purpose and desired outcome of the meeting. Also confirm who is playing what role.
- Participation: This, the largest part of the meeting is for discussion of the subject matter. Note that it’s not for lectures or presentations.
- Meaning: Summarize the key points from the discussion.
- Next Steps: Determine and assign next steps.
- Follow Through: Clarify who is going to keep track of and report on follow through.
If you follow this progression for every meeting and you spend a bit of time making sure you’ve thought through each piece beforehand, your meetings will be super productive and people will be happy to be part of your team. They’ll know that the time they spend in meetings you organize will be worthwhile.
Resources to Make Every Meeting a Hit
If you want to become really great at planning running meetings, there’s lots more to learn.
Here’s a powerhouse list of Meeting Resources for you to download. It’s got clickable links that will take you to all sorts of great and interesting places to find out more about this essential skill.
And here’s a handy form — Your Meeting Check List — that you can download and use to make sure your meetings are well-designed.Are your #CapitalCampaign meetings worthwhile? 7 steps guaranteed to make your meetings… Click To Tweet
Next Up… Virtual Meetings
This is the first of three in our series about meetings.
Keep your eyes peeled for the next post in this series that will cover how to run virtual meetings. I’m sure virtual meetings will be a big part of your capital campaign. And there’s lots to know about how to make them work well.