“Raise $5,000,000? Whoa…no way! We only raise shy of $1,000,000 each year. How are we ever going to raise $5 million. And even if we could, what would happen to our operating money?”
In my years as a campaign consultant, I’ve heard some iteration of those fears again and again.
It’s an expression of a reasonable and natural fear that for their organization, raising that kind of money is simply not possible.
But in campaign after campaign, three years later we’d shake our heads in delight (and a bit of wonder) as we celebrated having reached the goal and then some.
How can that be? Is it magic? If so, what are the ingredients for the potion?
Now, after nearly 30 years in the capital campaign business and two books on the subject and dozens of successful clients, I’m happy to tell you my answer.
Yes, Campaigns are Magical
They require Executive Directors and Board members to become clear and focused on a vision of how their organization can better serve the community. They demand that everyone pull together in the same direction without flinching. And when that happens, the energy becomes electric.
Here are the ingredients for the potent campaign potion that will let you raise more money than you ever thought possible.
- A remarkable dose of clear vision and strong (even stubborn) intention
- The will to set a dollar goal needed to realize the vision
- The courage to lay out a solid time table.
- A few key people who care enough to be fully committed with their time AND money AND power.
- And finally, a reasonable chance–that is, some donors who already give to the organization and who have the potential to give at some of the highest levels required.
Are YOU committed?
The Magic’s in the determination and commitment and passion that are at the heart of every breathtaking campaign.
What’s your vision? How committed are you? And do you have a few key donors who will give your campaign a chance?