Here’s a piece I delivered (verbatim) to a consulting client a few years ago to “sell” them on the idea:
We are recommending that you create a Campaign Planning Committee to oversee and monitor the Feasibility Study and other pre-campaign activities.
It should be composed of those volunteers and friends who have the power, influence, and resources to make the campaign successful. Serving on this committee will engage your key leaders in shaping the campaign.
The Campaign Planning Committee should oversee the entire Feasibility Study process and review the preliminary finding of the Study report.
Based on the finding of the Study, the Committee will develop a set of recommendations for action items and next steps needed to prepare for a successful capital campaign.
The Campaign Planning Committee should:
- Approve a 2-3 page Case Statement to be used in the Study.
- Approve the timetable for the Feasibility Study.
- Approve the questionnaire to be used in the Feasibility Study.
- Identify individuals to be interviewed in the Feasibility Study.
- Identify and enlist hosts for the focus group meetings.
- Identify individuals to be invited to the focus groups.
- Review preliminary finding of the Feasibility Study for immediate action.
- Determine next steps needed to take action on the Study findings and recommend these action items to the entire board.
Based on the findings of the Study, assist in recruiting the campaign chairs or co-chairs and other campaign volunteers.